Delcicious Chicken Long Rice Recipe made in a traditonal Hawaiian style with ginger and onions, a unique and popular dish at Hawaii Luaus.
- 2 1/2 lb chicken thighs
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger root minced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 8 oz long rice
- 3 green onions chopped
- Put chicken into a five quart saucepan.
- Add two quarts of the water, the salt and ginger.
- Bring to a boil, skim, lower heat, and simmer for forty minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain, saving broth.
- Remove meat from chicken, discarding bones.
- Shred meat and set aside.
- Put broth, onion, bouillon cubes and the remaining one quart water into saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add long rice, then lower heat and cook, covered for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let stand about 30 minutes.
- With kitchen shears, cut long rice into approximately 3- or 4- inch lengths.
- Stir in chicken and heat briefly, if desired, before serving.
- Sprinkle with green onions.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Share this Recipe