You always know when summer's coming -- the time of year when the days get longer and the sun is shining brighter. It’s time to break out the BBQ grills and have a backyard party! What can be more fun than throwing a summer party? Why, throwing a themed summer party, of course! One of the hottest themes for spring/summer parties is a Hawaiian Luau Party. And to ensure your guests have a real Hawaiian experience, make sure you get a tiki bar!
Here are some ideas to consider in planning your Hawaiian Luau Party.
Type of Event
Let’s start with the type of event you want to have. If you want a formal sit-down dinner, you can rent 60” round tables that sit 8-10 people or 72” round tables that sit 10-12 people. Having long rectangular banquet tables is also a great way to have a sit-down luau as well. For a more casual gathering, you can rent 48” round tables that seat 6-8 guests and add some stand-up cocktails so that people can mingle and move around throughout the party.
Some possible ideas:
- A tag attached to a lei and mailed in a padded envelope.
- An invitation skewered on a wooden kabob stick and mailed in a tube or padded envelope.
- Message in a sand-filled bottle – mailed in a tube
- Budget idea: details handwritten on a vintage Hawaiian postcard – you can find these easily on eBay
Linens and Colors
Hawaiian Luaus usually have lots of vibrant colors such as turquoise, lime green, bright yellow, fuchsia, and orange. You can incorporate some or all of these colors throughout your event.
Hawaiian Luau Centerpiece Ideas:
- Fill an 8” bubble bowl with some sand, seashells and a piller candle.
- Buy some strands of orchids from a grocery store (Trader Joe’s usually has some beautiful orchids) and cut each orchid from its stem and float them on top of the bubble bowl filled with water and you have a beautiful Hawaiian Luau centerpiece!
- Put a pineapple in the center of each table and decorate with Hawaiian parasols and/or flowers.
- Real pineapples with taper candles stuffed into the spiky green tops – it’s easy to carve out a little hole for the tapers and looks super impressive
- lots of typical party store Hawaiian décor
- tall paper palm tree
- fish net thrown over the tablecloth
- hot pink hula skirt and tiki mask make an awesome backdrop for a food buffet.
Hawaiian Luau Menu:
- Grilled marinated chicken, veggie and pineapple kabobs/vegetarian kabobs
- If you want to go all out roast a pig on an open grill or pit
- Pasta and veggie salad
- Fresh fruit salad with cinnamon dipping sauce on the side
- Sparkling Hawaiian fruit rum punch
- Custom t-shirts
- Hawaiian lei’s
- Maui Wowi tiki cups (can fill with candy)
- Maui Wowi monkey cups
Hawaiian Luau Clothing
You MUST wear Hawaiian clothing for your Hawaiian Luau! And the best Hawaiian shirts, dresses, sarongs – any type of Hawaiian clothing comes from Kapo Trading Company! Visit http://shop.kapotrading.com to find your perfect Hawaiian Luau attire. And encourage your guests to visit as well for their Hawaiian gear.
Kapo Trading Company will deliver Hawaii to you -- after all we know you're way to busy to go there and pick out your Hawaiian Luau supplies yourself.
Now you can kick back and enjoy your Luau.