Ever just kick back and wonder what some of the interesting things that Hawaii is known for. Yes, us too, so we put together a bunch below for you to spend some Hawaiian time.
1. Currently, the most searched food in Hawaii is — Matcha
In case you haven’t come across matcha at your local coffee shop, you should know it’s a finely ground powder made from tea leaves. It has a sweet, grassy flavor and can be used either as a standalone beverage when mixed with hot water or tea, or as a flavoring agent for a variety of baked goods.
2. Aloha means “hello,” “goodbye,” and “what the hell is going on here?”
Well, at least you can get lei’d,
3. Hawaii is the only US state that doesn't have a straight line in its border.
4. Hawaii, along with Arizona, does not recognize daylight savings time. Lucky us!
5. Ancient Hawaiians found obesity to be attractive
6. Hawaii has its own time zone ... so there is some truth to being on Hawaiian time.
7. Hawaii has the highest life expectancy in the US at 81.3 years
8. In 1999, Byran Koji Uyesugi committed what was and is the deadliest mass shooting in Hawaii’s history.
Known as the Xerox Murders, Byran showed up at his work with a 9 mm Glock and killed six of his co-workers and his supervisor. He was sentenced to life in prison.
9. Although the United States doesn't have an official language, Hawaii has two - English and Hawaiian.
10. The Big Island grows by 42 acres every year due to constant volcanic activity.
11. No matter how long you live in Hawaii, if you don't have Hawaiian ancestry then you're not Hawaiian...you're a local.
12. Snakes are actually illegal in Hawaii, except for at zoos!
13. The state gem is black coral, which is actually an animal. It's the only state gem that is not a mineral.
14. The rainiest place on Earth is Mt. Waialeale on Kauai. It gets 476 inches of rain every year.
15. The islands only have two native mammals - the monk seal and the hoary bat.
16. There are only 13 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet.
17. In Hawaii, everyone is a minority. In fact, most people are of mixed ethnicity.